By: Pam Rossow
What is content writing?
Content writing is a form of online writing linked closely to the web. It targets a specific audience by providing specialized content unique to a particular site. It can be used to promote, sell a product or service or educate.
What does a content writer do?
Content writers help businesses increase their ROI, Return on Investment, by writing compelling content on relevant topics, often using keywords to boost SEO, and getting audiences to convert and buy services or products.
What are the benefits of hiring a content writer?
The following are five benefits of hiring a content writer:
Publish regular content – A content writer will produce consistent content for your website like blog posts on an ongoing basis.
Free up your time – Since you do not have to spend time creating content for your website, you will have more time to devote to running and expanding your business.
Provide a different perspective – When you hire a freelance content writer, you can receive a unique perspective regarding your business you may not have thought of before.
Improve readership – A content writer can boost your site’s readership and retain your audience by providing valuable content.
Increase your search ranking – Google crawls sites on a regular basis and analyzes back links, headers, and webpages. By incorporating keywords into your site’s blog and maintaining high quality content, content writers can improve the Google ranking of your website.
What should I consider before hiring a freelance content writer?
There are numerous factors to weigh before you hire a content writer. The following are 11 important things to consider:
- Determine your budget.
- Know why you need to hire a content writer.
- Decide how much content you need and for how long.
- Professional writers will typically charge more per word or project than cut rates.
- While you may pay more, assess the value you will receive with an experienced writer compared to content mills.
- If you want ghostwritten content, an experienced writer will usually charge more than if the writer receives a byline with their name.
- Unlike face-to-face interviews conducted in your business locale, you can hire freelance content workers living anywhere in the world.
- If you are planning on sharing sensitive content with a content writer, ensure you have a written, signed contract specifying confidentiality and project terms.
- Communicate clearly with your writer what your timetable is, how you want content delivered, and what your expectations are for the project.
- When hiring a professional writer, remember they are usually not brand strategists, coding experts or logo creators. However, they can create engaging written content for your website.
- Seasoned content writers have areas of expertise. This doesn’t mean a writer who specializes in one or two areas cannot write well in another niche. Discuss this subject with your potential writer to ensure it’s a good match.
Remember, outsourcing your content creation can be a positive experience for you and your business because it allows you to focus on what you do best. This could mean growing your business, spending more time with your loved ones or spending less time stressing about your blog site.
Hiring a freelance content writer does not have to feel like a daunting task. Remember to ask for work samples, communicate your writing needs and find a writer who is comfortable writing in your niche.